Teacher Training Materials of Professor Dr David Ngin Sian Pau
The topic I am going to deal with you today is how to teach Oral English Class. Maybe for the next few days, I will speak on teaching methodology.
· Self Introduction
· What motivates you to come to this program?
· What do you expect to get out of this training?
· Answer the question according to their own experience and perspective.
· How to motivate students to study English.
· Why can we say that English speaking is important?
· The importance of English to the students first. Without acknowledging the value of knowing
the language, people may not be interested in learning it.
· Ways of Learning English: visual, verbal, logic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, music, natural.
· Good learning attitude every student should possess so as to be successful. Obedient in the
classroom, self motivation effort, a desire of being under freedom which gives expressing your
feelings freely in English, a desire to work at international level.
· To overcome yourself is the most important part of learning a language. You should be able to
control your mind and should not allow your mind to control you.
1. Oral English class should be interactive.
Teaching methods are the same as the way we teach English,
(1) Grammar-based teaching method
Let’s say, you want to teach your students how to ask questions with “HOW?”. How are you going to design your teaching method? Will you just write a sentence using the word HOW on the board and ask students read several times? And if students stop reading it, then will you beat them with a stick? This is traditional teaching system.
· It’s your turn to share your knowledge how to do the teaching.
· For instance, you want to teach these two sentences:
a. How much is this scarf?
b. How tall are you?
1. this scarf you
2. this aquarium the trees
3. pie crust the thieves
4. bed-stead the buildings
5. scalpel those minions
6. bucket your friends
7. shish ke-bab your siblings
8. this paper clip
Copy Right©Cosmos International University
Summer 2007© Shanghai Education International Ltd.